• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Safety Restrictions? (Geofences/Warnings/Etc)

#1 Manaricelle
Heyo~ I'm Mana! Just started really posting here, I've been following the Indiegogo for a bit, but just managed to save up enough to opt in my support! 

As someone that sees themself putting a lot of time into this game and community, I wanted t go ahead and ask a few important questions so I don't see this game shut down because of irresponsible people.

1. Are you guys going to be geofencing/restricting unauthorized/security areas like airports, government sites, military bases and such kind of like what was done with Ingress and PoGo?

2. Are you guys going to include warnings about paying attention to surroundings and speed bans(to promote safer driving)?

I've seen these things neglected in a few indie GPS-based games and they ended getting that one person that ruins the experience because the studio has to close because of legal costs and whatnot.
[Image: pkQYYHo.gif]
#2 dhyde79
I'd much rather they put a disclaimer of "We are not responsible in any manner for your actions should you choose to violate any laws while playing this game. Obey all local laws and pay attention to your surroundings at all times."

PoGo's pop ups are extremely annoying...Ingress did nothing if the sort, nor were military installations blocked, (have friends down at Ft Hood that have several portals in base, and I know there are some at the air base near Altus, OK and some on Ft Riley, Ft Bliss, Ft Benning, and Ft Sill as well)

You'be got to remember, military installations are just small to medium cities....why exclude the couple hundred players that live there in close proximity?

Now, I would suggest knowing the perimeter and not having dungeons that arbitrarily cross onto the installation....
#3 Deinara
I'd much rather they put a disclaimer of "We are not responsible in any manner for your actions should you choose to violate any laws while playing this game. Obey all local laws and pay attention to your surroundings at all times."

Just to point out, they can add these disclaimers, however, they dont always actually legally protect the company (dont know all the details but I do know of a few cases in which user agreements supposedly forcing people to acknowledge risk/revoke rights didnt prevent judges from ruling people could still sue). PoGo is a little annoying, but if something like a warning or geofencing means that maguss isnt at risk of getting sued to death (or doesnt need to worry) I am cool with it.

Whether or not you think they have a responsibility to do so, I think maguss should do so to protect their company/keep the game safe from lawsuits.
#4 dhyde79
Agreed, take precautions to prevent lawsuits, but, geofencing areas off leads to exclusion of players which we've ALL been very much against.
#5 zatokar
Thank you guys for sharing your concerns. So far we have geofenced few areas such as hospitals, airports, waters and few other locations. We weren't planning on adding any disclaimer/privacy policy/user agreement on Alpha version but I am going to search for some legal representative to help us write it now and maybe we can make it until tomorrows release.
Maguss Founder
#6 dhyde79
I wouldn't expect disclaimers and all in place during the alpha...as for fencing off hospitals...is that to say dungeons won't take you in or you can't play there at all? If the latter, I'll lodge the complaint/concern that people work there for 8-12+ hours a day, and usually take breaks on their phones....or people in waiting rooms passing the time, parents waiting for the birth of their kid (neighbor says she was at the hospital for a full week, and was in labor for 42hrs before emergency c-section had to be done), etc. There are lots of people who might want to play while at the hospital...making it so they can't play at all there is a very bad idea in my opinion...making it so dungeons don't run you in, I support, and if I can still play while I wait the 2 1/2 hours for an appt there but can't dungeon, I'm totally fine with that...(think of kids stuck in hospitals for whatever reasons too...)
#7 zatokar
(11-20-2016, 11:26 AM)dhyde79 Wrote: I wouldn't expect disclaimers and all in place during the alpha...as for fencing off hospitals...is that to say dungeons won't take you in or you can't play there at all?  If the latter, I'll lodge the complaint/concern that people work there for 8-12+ hours a day, and usually take breaks on their phones....or people in waiting rooms passing the time, parents waiting for the birth of their kid (neighbor says she was at the hospital for a full week, and was in labor for 42hrs before emergency c-section had to be done), etc.  There are lots of people who might want to play while at the hospital...making it so they can't play at all there is a very bad idea in my opinion...making it so dungeons don't run you in, I support, and if I can still play while I wait the 2 1/2 hours for an appt there but can't dungeon, I'm totally fine with that...(think of kids stuck in hospitals for whatever reasons too...)

Yeah definitely we were thinking about that too. Keep in mind some features of the game will be available without GPS enabled some time later.

Besides that we have to review the possible issues. For now hospitals will be disabled, until we figure out whether we can keep it enabled there.
Maguss Founder
#8 Starius
I remember hearing about a children's hospital where there was originally a gym placed there, with a few pokestops. The hospital staff bought lures and kept them going constantly for the kids there.

Then Niantic removed the spots from the hospital and both the staff and kids were saddened by the change.

I hope you guys take situations like that into consideration.
#9 zatokar
(11-20-2016, 01:23 PM)Starius Wrote: I remember hearing about a children's hospital where there was originally a gym placed there, with a few pokestops. The hospital staff bought lures and kept them going constantly for the kids there.  

Then Niantic removed the spots from the hospital and both the staff and kids were saddened by the change.

Sure thing, but obviously Niantic had a reason for doing that, don't you think?
Maguss Founder
#10 Starius
(11-20-2016, 02:15 PM)zatokar Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 01:23 PM)Starius Wrote: I remember hearing about a children's hospital where there was originally a gym placed there, with a few pokestops. The hospital staff bought lures and kept them going constantly for the kids there.  

Sure thing, but obviously Niantic had a reason for doing that, don't you think?

Oh I'm sure they had a reason, but I don't often agree with a lot of their reasoning. Wink